Our quest to go Organic
Bread Nation is delighted to announce it is certified organic by the Irish Organic Association. (IOA) given that all the grains we use are sourced from certified organic producers.
Back in the early 50s and into the 60’s, the national loaf was fundamentally redesigned. The flour process changed and a combination of intense energy with an industrial milling process and additives completely displaced time in the natural maturing of dough. Before this most breads were left to rest overnight a process known as natural fermentation, but this was soon displaced in favour of high speed mixing and through the addition of improvers and additives this natural fermentation piece was removed from the process. So why do you find some or all of the following in the bread you buy at the shop is a question you should ask, calcium propionate, amylase, chlorine dioxide and L-cysteine hydrochloride and up to 30 other ingredients, some of which are not clearly defined on the label. The truth about the industrial bread that many of us are consuming is not good and for this reason we firmly believe in the benefits of eating organic only breads. We only use the best ingredients, organic flour from Shipton Mill, Oriel Sea salt from Clogherhead and filtered water.
What is Organic as defined by the IOA
Organic food carrying the IOA logo has been produced to the highest standards. It is produced according to organic farming principles which are committed to working in harmony with nature rather than against nature. Organic farming works within the natural confines of the farming eco-system
In practice organic farming;
- Avoids the use of chemical fertilisers and pesticides
- Does not permit the use of genetically modified organisms
- Uses less fossil fuel energy per calorie of food produced
- Protects our biodiversity by maintaining suitable habitats for plants, animals and wildlife
- Encourages people to buy their food locally and in season
Using organic flour not only helps to contribute to biodiversity whereby farmers and millers are required to follow a very strict production process of very strict legally defined standards. The continued application of these standards is closely monitored and certification is required yearly. Organic farmers are forbidden from using artificial fertilizers products while the use of GM crops is also forbidden. By maintaining natural varieties of wheat/cereals but also to the general wildlife populations where organic production methods encourage a greater variety and number of species.
TEN REASONS TO BUY ORGANIC GOOD
1. STRICT STANDARDS Organic food meets strict standards that are your assurance that it is healthy and safe to eat
2. CHEMICALS AND PESTICIDES Organic farming does not use the chemicals and pesticides that are routinely used in non organic food production
3. ANIMAL WELFARE Animal welfare is a priority for organic farmers and all animals are reared on grassland which is entirely free of chemical fertilisers, herbicides and pesticides. Animals have free range and adequate living space and bedding so you can rest assured that an organic animal has had a good life.
4. HEALTHY SOIL Organic farmers ensure that they maintain a healthy soil to pass on to future generations by incorporating methods such as rotations and adding natural fertility such as green manures or farmyard manure
5. WATER QUALITY Organic farms preserve our valuable resources as no pollutants are released into our waterways
6. BIODIVERSITY Studies have shown that organic farms support a greater number of species than non-organic farms
7. ENERGY Organic farms do not apply artificial chemicals and fertilisers which are by-products of the fossil fuel industry. Instead organic farming methods increase soil carbon and therefore reduce green house gases. Organic farming can directly contribute to reducing our emissions and therefore reducing the impact of climate change
8. GM Organic farming prohibits the use of genetically modified organisms
9. TASTE Many people genuinely believe that organic food tastes better!
10. GOOD FOR NATURE GOOD FOR YOU!
An Organic Ethos
The promotion of organic food is set deep within the ethos that drives Bread Nation and our Eatery Bread 41. We source grain as locally as possible from certified organic producers and all our breads are made using only organic ingredients.